the Children's Hospice Association Scotland
Arbroath is famous for the abbey where, in 1320,
the Declaration of Arbroath was signed.
Signal Tower, which was erected 1807-1811 by Robert Stevenson, was the shore
station for the Bell Rock Lighthouse. The
moveable copper ball at the top of the tower signalled to the lighthouse, 11 miles offshore. The
tower now houses Arbroath’s museum.
Arbroath's first harbour was built in 1394 at
Danger Point by Abbot John Gedy. It stood until 1706
when it was destroyed in a gale; another harbour was
constructed around 1734. The present harbour was begun in 1842 and was completed
with the opening of the wet dock in 1877.
See our bookshop in