Archaeologists believe Victorian builders "robbed" the ruins of a house at the centre of the Jacobite cause for its stone. James Erskine, Lord Grange, is thought to have hosted clandestine meetings of Jacobites at Preston House in the years before the 1745 rebellion.
A dig has uncovered buried remains of the mansion at Prestonpans in East Lothian. Evidence of stone being taken was found at what would have been its east wing. Dr Tony Pollard, of the University of Glasgow, led the excavation by local volunteers under the auspices of Prestonpans Battlefield Trust.
The full story can be read on BBC Scotland News