the Children's Hospice Association Scotland
Brodick sits on the southern side of the bay of the same
name on the eastern side of the Isle of Arran; it is from the Norse for broad
bay that the name of the village is derived although Brodick was originally
known as Invercloy as the village stands where the Glencloy Water enters the
bay. On the northern side of the bay is Brodick Castle; however, the view is
dominated from the village, as it is from the ferry as it approaches the island,
by Goatfell to the north of both.
Brodick Castle started off as a 13th century tower house;
this was extended in the 16th, 17th and 19th centuries. In 1957, ownership of
the castle and its grounds passed to the National Trust for Scotland. In
1958 Goatfell, which at 874m/2,866 ft is the highest mountain on the island, and
the surrounding countryside also passed in to the ownership of the NTS;
together the area around the castle and mountain form the only country park in
Britain that is on an island.
See our bookshop in