Built between 1932 and 1936, the Kincardine Bridge was the
first road bridge to cross the Firth of Forth until its more famous counterpart,
the Forth Road Bridge, was opened in 1964. The bridge was designed by Alexander
Gibb & Partners as a swing bridge to allow larger ships continue up the Forth as
far as Alloa, which it continued to do so up to 1988; at the time it was built,
the Kincardine Bridge was the largest swing bridge in Europe.
Although it is some distance away, the Kincardine Bridge is
used as a diversion at times when the Forth Road Bridge is closed to some or all
of its traffic; as a result the roads around the area can become congested. With
this in mind, and due to the age of the Kincardine Bridge itself, it was decided
to build a replacement; the Upper Forth Crossing, which is now known as
the Clackmannanshire Bridge, opened in 2008 and sits upstream.
See our bookshop in
the Children's Hospice Association Scotland